Manufacturing and Materials Philosophy
Quality materials and components.
Here is a short Video showing the manufacturing of a Summit Gear Pack in the Blue Mountains https://youtu.be/xlUhve7_30w
In our 30 years of manufacturing equipment we have narrowed our materials and components choices to a select range of high quality products.
Cordura (1000 denier) is a high tenacity nylon fabric. It is used for the majority of construction on our technical equipment range. It displays unparalleled abrasion and tear resistance, is lightweight, and weatherproof. We also use a 500 denier version on the harnesses of our packs.
Camlon (1200 denier) is a PVC coated polyester. It is heavier and stiffer than Cordura. Camlon is used to provide thick bases in winching bags. It is a non-absorbant fabric and is suited for use in locations where it may come into contact with fuels and oils.
Canvas (12oz) is a corespun polycotton canvas. The cotton is wrapped around a polyester core. This increases durability whilst still maintaining the high weatherproof rating. We use canvas in products that may spend considerable time exposed to the elements, eg. trekking bags.
YKK Racket Coil Zip. The toughest, most abrasion resistant zipper available. Available with locking or non-locking zipper sliders.
National Mouldings DURAFLEX buckles and fittings are used for their high strength and impact resistance.
- All Summit Gear products feature triple stitched and bound seams, sewn with high strength nylon thread.
- High wear areas on equipment receive extra fabric reinforcement and stitching detail, eg. base of rucksacks.
- All webbing anchor points are bar-tacked for added strength.
- Winch loops are constructed of minimum 2200 kg breaking strain webbing. Complete winching bags have been tested to failure at 900kg (the load at which the bag begins to separate from the winch loop). Winch loop points feature Cordura reinforcement for durability.
- Zippers on all bags feature storm flaps to resist abrasion, and compression straps to distribute the load away from the zipper.
- Rigid bases for winch bags are constructed of a 3mm High Density Polyethylene Sheet, interlaced with 6061-T6 alloy flat bar. This construction is resistant to cracking and distortion.
- Quality assessment of each product is undertaken by two staff members.
- Our design philosophy dictates that we seek to remove redundancies from every product that we build. We emphasise that whilst gear will not last forever, the product should exhibit equal wear characteristics across the entire item. We are confident that our designs, material choices, and quality construction will result in products that exceed your expectations.